Meet Joseph Carey, Founder of Carey Law Office
Competent representation in Bowie, Crofton and Gambrills since 1981
My name is Joe Carey, and I am the founder and principal attorney of the Carey Law Office. I have lived in Maryland my entire life. I grew up in a small town in Prince George’s County and, with the help of my partner in life, Nancy, I raised my family here: three exceptional children (a son and two daughters), and two goofy, spoiled black Labrador Retrievers.
My drive to help the people of this community drew me toward pursuing a career in law from a young age. Shortly after entering high school, my best friend began using drugs, which ultimately took his life. This made me realize that I wanted to do more than just help people with their legal matters; I wanted to help them improve their lives. This led to me study and practice multiple areas of law. I have found that my work in one area often informs another, which allows me to address the needs of my clients more fully, and prepare cases that anticipate every contingency.
With this goal in mind, I became the first in my family to attend college, graduating with highest honors from University of Maryland, College Park. I then graduated from the University of Maryland School of Law with honors. I was also, at the time, the youngest person to ever take and pass the Bar in Maryland. Before opening my own law firm, I clerked for the Honorable James M. Rea when he was an Administrative Judge of the District Court of Maryland for Prince George’s County, and again when he was named an Associate Judge to the Circuit Court for Prince George’s County.
Shortly afterward, I opened my own law firm in Bowie, trying cases throughout Maryland. Now, 37 years and a second office (this time in Crofton) later, I still represent clients all over the state, from the DC suburbs all the way out to the Eastern shore. I’ve worked hard to earn my reputation as a highly experienced trial attorney and have defended thousands of clients before all Maryland Trial Courts, Appellate Courts, and even the Supreme Court of the United States.
Despite my success – you can find a full list of honors, accolades and leadership positions I’ve held below – I haven’t lost sight of why I became a lawyer in the first place. My ambition to help people in a meaningful way emboldens me to fight tirelessly for my clients. It isn’t always easy, but it’s always worth it.
When I’m not in one of my offices or in a courtroom, I like to spend time with my wife and kids, play with the dogs, and read.
- Criminal defense
- DUI/DWI defense
- MVA hearings
- Personal injury
- Motor vehicle accidents
- Wills, trusts, and estate planning
- J.D., with Honors, University of Maryland School of Law, 1980
- B.S., summa cum laude, Business Management, University of Maryland College Park, 1977
- Phi Eta Sigma National Honor Society
- Beta Gamma Sigma Business Honor Fraternity
- John Marshall Pre-Law Society
- First Place Winner of MEMCO Scholarship Competition for Outstanding Students
- Dean’s List, 5 out of 6 semesters
- Maryland, 1980
- Maryland Court of Appeals, 1980
- Maryland Court of Special Appeals, 1980
- United States District Court for the District of Maryland, 1980
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, 1984
- Supreme Court of the United States, 1984
- American Bar Association, 1980 –present
- General Practice Solo and Small Firm Division, 2007 – present
- Prince George’s County Bar Association, 1980 – present
- Board of Directors, 1983 – present
- Maryland State Bar Association, 1980 – present
- Board of Governors, 2008 – 2010
- Maryland Bar Foundation, 2014 – present
- Invited for membership, which is limited to only 2% of all Bar members
- American Association for Justice, 1981 – present
- Interstate Trucking Litigation Group, 2008 – present
- Maryland Association for Justice, 1981 – present
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, 1988 – present
- Maryland Criminal Defense Attorneys’ Association, 1988 – present
- Treasurer, 2017 – present
- Calvert County Bar Association, 1999 – present
- Board of Directors, 2006 – 2008
- Association of Plaintiff Interstate Trucking Lawyers of America, 2008 – present
- National College for DUI Defense, 2013 – present
Honors and Accolades
- AV Preeminent rating by Martindale-Hubble
- Super Lawyers