Personal Injury Attorney Representing the Injured in Crofton, Bowie, and More

Protecting the rights of those injured in accidents throughout Maryland

Whether you were an injured in a car accident, slipped and fell at the mall, or were bitten by a neighbor’s dog, each of these incidents involve the negligence of another person. Our civil justice system provides a remedy for those who have sustained an injury because of someone else’s negligence: you can take legal action to get compensation for your medical costs, pain and suffering, and other losses related to the injury.

At Carey Law Office, we are proud to protect your right to recover compensation when you have been injured due to negligence. Give us a call to schedule a free consultation to discuss your case. You will not pay any legal fees unless we win compensation for you.

Examples of personal injury cases we handle:

There are many ways a person can sustain an injury because of the negligence of another person including:

  • Burn injuries
  • Car accidents
  • Medical malpractice
  • Motorcycle accidents
  • Premises liability
  • Products liability
  • Slip and fall
  • Truck accidents
  • Workplace injuries
  • Wrongful death

The do’s and don’ts of personal injury cases

  • DON’T talk to anyone about this incident except your lawyer. Don’t even talk to your own insurance company without consulting your lawyer first. You could unintentionally admit that you were at fault for the incident. Insurance companies can very easily use your own information against you.
  • DO see your doctor right away if you were not taken to the hospital from the scene of the accident. If you wait days to have your injuries treated, the insurance company may not believe that this incident is what actually caused your injuries.
  • DO NOT miss any doctor’s appointments; follow all the instructions your doctor gives you to treat your injury. This helps prove that your injuries are as serious as you claim.
  • DO keep all receipts for medical visits and prescriptions. Having detailed records of how much your treatment costs will make it easier for you to receive the necessary funds to cover your medical bills.
  • DO take photos of your injuries and/or car damage. Personal injury cases can take years to resolve—when your injuries start to heal, you will need proof of how serious they were. Additionally, once your car has been repaired, you will need proof of the original damage.
  • DO record the names and contact information of any witnesses. Witnesses can significantly help your case; make sure you know how to reach them.

How Personal Injury Protection (PIP) applies to your case

Personal Injury Protection (PIP) is a fixed amount of money your car insurance will use to reimburse you for medical expenses and lost wages when you’re hurt in a motor vehicle accident. When you buy auto insurance in Maryland, the insurance company must offer you a minimum of $2,500, although you do not have to accept it. You can also buy Med Pay (additional PIP) through your insurance company. Not all providers offer this, but some offer up to $50,000. Using PIP will not raise your insurance rates—it is there to be used, regardless of who was at fault.

What is subrogation?

Subrogation is the process your health insurance company goes through to get reimbursed for all the money they’ve paid on your behalf while you were injured; the specifics are based on your individual insurance policy. Your health insurance will not subrogate if you lose the case. If you receive a settlement payment, the subrogation money will come out of it. An experienced Bowie personal injury attorney can negotiate the amount your insurance company will receive.

How do I deal with my property damage?

The insurance company of the party at fault will assign two adjusters to your case: one to handle bodily injury and one to handle property damage. The property damage adjuster will speak to you about your vehicle damage, but the bodily injury adjuster should not talk to you—that person should only speak with your lawyer. When you talk to the property damage adjuster, do not mention your injuries at all—they could report that information and use it against you.

Tip: If your vehicle is not drivable and is in a storage facility, remove it from there immediately. A storage facility will charge you daily storage fees while your car sits there. The other party’s insurance company may not cover this—you are responsible for handling your property as well as any storage fees.

What kind of compensation can I recover in a personal injury case?

Whether you settle your case outside of court with the insurance company or go to trial, there are several different kinds of compensation you might recover:

  • Current and future medical expenses for your accident injuries
  • Lost wages
  • Diminished earning capacity
  • Pain and suffering
  • Severe emotional distress
  • Loss of consortium (for spouses)

A Bowie and Crofton personal injury lawyer will make the difference.

Why do clients travel to our office from all over Maryland? The answer is simple: we have an excellent reputation as a firm that gets results for clients suffering serious injuries. Other attorneys often refer clients to us, recognizing our outstanding success with personal injury cases. We have more than 37 years of experience handling injury and accident cases ranging from car accidents to dog bites; from whiplash to wrongful death. With us, you are in good hands.

You can rest assured that we will resolve your case for the full amount you deserve. You are entitled to compensation for lost wages, medical bills, permanent injuries, property damage, and pain and suffering. You need to focus on recovering—we will pursue the claim on your behalf, gathering the necessary evidence to prove that you were not at fault. We have valuable resources to help evaluate and analyze your claim, including the ability to consult with various accident investigators and medical specialists to determine the extent of your injuries, the life-altering impact, and the cost of future care and treatment. If your case doesn’t settle, we will fight for your rights at trial.

How can Carey Law Office help you today?

Carey Law Office has been serving the people of Bowie since 1981, and we recently opened another location in Crofton for your convenience. You are welcome to call us at 301-464-2500 and schedule a consultation with a personal injury attorney in Bowie or Crofton to discuss your case or complete our contact form now.