Criminal Defense, Personal Injury and Estate Planning Lawyer in Bowie and Crofton
A full-service law firm serving clients in Prince George’s and Anne Arundel Counties
When you need legal assistance, the last thing you should have to worry about is whether your lawyer will get back to you with answers to your questions, or whether or not the firm has the resources to handle your case. When founder Joseph Carey opened Carey Law Office in Bowie in 1981, he wanted to help people. That’s what we have spent the last 37 years doing: getting clients the answers they need when they need them, so they can move forward.
If you are facing criminal charges, suffering from serious injuries, or want to ensure that your loved ones and assets are safe in the future, Carey Law Office is here to help. We handle a wide variety of claims and cases. As your legal team, it is our job to provide you with the best possible legal strategies and ensure you are safe and secure now and in the future.
Skilled criminal defense in Bowie, Crofton, and throughout Maryland
As a criminal defense firm, we handle complex, high-profile cases, first-time misdemeanor charges, and everything in between. No matter what your needs are, we have the experience, skills, and resources you want on your side. Over the years, the firm has earned an excellent reputation for offering custom defense strategies for clients facing:
- DUI/DWI charges. A DUI can cost thousands of dollars in court fines and penalties, as well as the cost of an ignition interlock system. It can cost you your driver’s license, any professional licenses, your job, and your freedom. DUI-related enhancements attached to other criminal charges can increase your risk or jail or prison time, too. We work with clients facing their first offense, handle MVA and refusal hearings, and represent repeat offenders who stand to lose everything.
- Drug charges. From minor possession to trafficking and distribution, we represent clients facing a wide range of drug-related charges. If you were caught with marijuana, cocaine, heroin, or methamphetamines, or are facing charges related to prescription drug abuse or fraud, we will help you find the help you need, while we work on the best defense strategies for your case.
- Assault charges. Depending on your exact circumstances, an assault charge conviction can range from fines and community service to decades in prison. There are additional enhancements for domestic violence; seeking legal counsel quickly is critical if you want to be successful.
- Sexual assault charges. Few things can have a more devastating effect on your life than a sexual assault conviction. In the worst-case scenario, you could be placed on the registry for the rest of your life. Once you’re on that list, it is incredibly difficult – though not impossible – to be removed. If you have been accused of rape, assault, stalking, or any of the many charges that fall under the umbrella of “sex crimes,” call our office immediately.
- Theft charges. Theft crimes, from shoplifting to grand theft and burglary, can cost you more than just the cost of the item; a conviction can cost you your job, your professional license, and maybe even months or years of your life spent in jail. We have had particular success representing clients accused of theft charges; call us to learn how we can help you, too.
- Juvenile crimes. In the event that your child is facing criminal charges, we have represented clients in the juvenile system, too. Just because your child is under 18 does not mean he or she will automatically go before a juvenile court judge; likewise, under certain circumstances, young adults may be tried in the juvenile system. Our team will guide you through your options, so you can help protect your child.
Personal injury services from a lawyer you can trust
A serious personal injury can leave you with a lot of questions: how will I pay my bills? What if I need full-time care? Who will get the car fixed? How long will it take to get well?
If you were injured because of another person’s negligence, we will represent your best interests in settlement negotiations or in civil court. Our firm handles a wide range claims, including but not limited to:
- Car accidents
- Truck accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Slip and fall claims
- Product liability for defective products
While you just focus on recovering, we will deal with the insurance companies, make sure you have a rental car, and can even help you find the right doctors and caretakers if your injury necessitates additional medical treatment. While we don’t handle workers’ compensation claims, we can easily recommend some highly esteemed colleagues who will take good care of you, or help injured contractors and employees file a third-party claim against a negligent person or entity.
Helping clients plan for their families’ futures, and respect their loved ones’ wishes
Estate planning worries many people because it forces us to think about a time when we are no longer here, or when we may be unable to do things for ourselves. We look at estate planning as a way to ensure that your loved ones are protected, now and in the future.
If your loved one is recently deceased, and you have been named the executor or estate administrator, you may need help ensuring that your loved one’s wishes are carried out. If you want to protect your spouse and children, ensure the future of the company you built, or offer financial security to a favorite charity or non-profit organization, then you’re ready to sit down with an attorney and plan your estate. Carey Law Office helps clients help their families avoid probate litigation with:
- Charitable giving plans
- Business succession plans
- Powers of attorney
- Long-term healthcare planning
- Benefits packages
When you’re ready to take the next step, we can prepare all of the necessary legal documents to ensure that your wishes are met.
A variety of legal services customized to fit your needs
Joseph Carey opened Carey Law Office in Bowie 37 years ago to help people. We opened the Crofton office for the very same reason. Whether you have been hurt, need to plan for the future, or are facing criminal charges, your law firm should always be there to support you. Let us show you how that’s done. Please call 301-464-2500 or fill out this contact form to learn more about our services.