Skilled Criminal Defense Attorney Representing the Accused in Bowie and Crofton
Upholding the rights of clients facing charges in state or federal court
A criminal charge on your record is serious. If you are facing criminal investigation or have been charged with a crime, it’s important to consider all that’s at stake. A criminal conviction will hurt your record and your chances of getting or keeping a job. Your future is important – that’s why you need to retain a highly experienced firm as soon as possible. If you already have a criminal conviction on your record, then the consequences could be much more severe. Regardless of what you have been accused of doing, you have rights under both the Maryland and the United States Constitutions. You deserve a Bowie criminal defense lawyer who will assert and protect your rights and build a strong defense on your behalf.
In the more than three decades since Carey Law Office was founded, our goal has been to help clients tell their side of the story and get their lives back on track. We understand that sometimes people make mistakes; that’s why we are here to guide you through the criminal justice system and make sure you receive practical advice and an aggressive defense. When you need help with a criminal matter, call Carey Law Office in Bowie or Crofton and schedule a consultation with a knowledgeable attorney who is prepared to help.
Facing criminal charges in Maryland
At Carey Law Office, we represent clients at the state level and in federal court. We routinely handle the following types of criminal matters:
- DUI charges. If you are facing DUI charges, your first move is to contact Carey Law Office. A conviction can lead to thousands of dollars in fines, the loss of your license (and the potential loss of your job), and a permanent scar on your record. You may also be forced to install an ignition interlock device in your vehicle at your own expense. By working with a Bowie DUI defense lawyer from our firm, you may be able to lessen the severity of those charges, whether it is your first offense, or you are facing charges for a second, third, or even fourth time. You will also have someone who can help you navigate MVA hearings later on in the process.
- Drug crimes. A drug charge involves the use, possession, or sale (among others) of a controlled substance, regardless of whether that substance is considered illegal for use or not. A drug crime conviction can have a devastating effect on your family; your social, professional and economic life and future; and on your standing in the community. Carey Law Office handles cases involving possession, trafficking, distribution, sales, etc. for all levels of controlled substances, including:
- Assault. Maryland’s Code has multiple types of assault charges. A first-degree assault charge consists of intentionally causing (or attempting to cause) serious physical injury to someone; this is the most serious. We handle all manner of assault charges, and can create a strategic path forward for you.
- Theft. Theft charges can vary in severity, and the type of charge you face can determine the fines or penalties associated with a conviction. We represent clients accused of all kinds of theft charges, from misdemeanor shoplifting and petty theft, to felony burglary and receiving stolen goods. We also represent clients facing charges of embezzlement or other typically “white collar” theft crimes, such as fraud.
- Sex crimes. Sexual offense convictions in Maryland can leave a very serious and long-lasting mark on your life and reputation. Depending on the charges you face, you could be sentenced to years in prison, thousands of dollars in fines, and life on the Sex Offender Registry. Our firm handles all manner of sex crime charges, including:
- Rape charges, including statutory rape
- Sexual assault
- Sexual abuse
- Lewd conduct
- Indecent exposure
- Human trafficking
- Domestic violence. Domestic abuse is a serious offense with far-reaching consequences for the accused – and often, conviction requires less evidence than other crimes might warrant. Domestic violence describes abusive acts including threats of abuse towards a former spouse, intimate partner or family member. Whether you are considering getting a protective order because you do not feel safe at home, or if your spouse or domestic partner has filed a domestic violence charge against you, seek legal counsel from a Bowie criminal defense attorney right away. If you are not feeling safe right now, you can call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-SAFE (that’s 1-800-799-7233) 24 hours a day. Their TTY number for hearing-impaired persons is 1-800-787-3224.
- Juvenile crimes. While juveniles can be arrested and charged with the same offenses as adults can, their cases are handled differently than they would be in the adult criminal justice system. It is vital that you work with a Bowie criminal defense attorney who has experience defending juveniles who have been accused of crimes. We are here to help your child avoid as many of the harsh consequences as possible, so that he or she can get back to focusing on his or her bright future.
What are the benefits of having an experienced criminal defense attorney represent you?
When you face criminal charges, your life is on the line. Your future and freedom are in the hands of whatever lawyer you choose to represent you. Hiring a passionate, seasoned attorney who will provide skilled representation will make a world of difference in the outcome of your case. Working with a Bowie criminal defense lawyer with decades of experience is crucial when it comes to protecting your rights and your future. You want to get your life back on track; we want to help you make that happen as quickly and efficiently as we can.
From the moment we take your case, we will counsel you as you move through the criminal justice system from the investigation through to the conclusion of the trial. With a thoughtful, strategic defense, we present a compelling case, advocate for your rights, and protect your future by negotiating for a reduction in charges or penalties. If you find yourself in need of legal counsel for a criminal matter, whether it is a misdemeanor charge or a felony charge, Carey Law Office is here to help. We will get through this together.
Bowie and Crofton criminal defense legal services personalized for you
Joseph Carey opened Carey Law Office in Bowie almost four decades ago to serve the legal needs of our community. We opened our Crofton office for the same reason. When you are facing criminal charges, your law firm should always be there to help you. We are here to show you how that’s done. Please call 301-464-2500 or fill out this contact form to learn more about our services.